Ministry of Education and Culture Privacy Notice to Data Subjects
Personal data processed in the Researcher’s Profile Tool
Published 24 November 2022
This privacy notice contains the information for the data subject that is accordance with Articles 13 and 14 of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 679/2016. This notice shall be issued to the data subject when personal data is collected.
Data controller and contact details
Ministry of Education and Culture
Visiting address of the registry: Ritarikatu 2 b, Helsinki
Mailing address: P.O. Box 29, FIN-00023 GOVERNMENT
Tel. +358 295 16001 (Government switchboard)
Data protection officer contact details
Data Protection Officer of the Ministry of Education and Culture
E-mail address: email@example.com
Mailing address: Ministry of Education and Culture, P.O. Box 29 FIN-00023 GOVERNMENT
Purposes of processing personal data
The purposes for which personal data is used are:
- Identification using the Suomi.fi service
- Logging in with an ORCID iD
- Service deployment
- Transferring the data in the ORCID register of the user to the Researcher’s Profile Tool database after the user has given their consent.
- Editing your profile
- Displaying the profile’s information in the open data service (research.fi).
- Developing the functionalities of the Research Information Hub's Researcher's Profile Tool.
- Management of users login details and statistics and managing cookies required to use the service.
- Statistics, analytics and management related to the Tool.
Basis for the processing of personal data
Processing of personal data in the Researcher's Profile Tool is based on the consent given and maintained in the Researcher's Profile Tool in accordance with Article 6 (1a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679).
Data stored in the Finnish Research Information Hub is subject to the Act on the Finnish Research Information Hub (1238/2021).
Categories of data subjects and categories of personal data to be processed:
- The user's name and personal identity code or similar information received through Suomi.fi identification.
- The personal identity code or its equivalent is only used as technically as a method to uniquely identify a person. The personal identity code is not displayed to other parties and it is not used for other purposes in this service.
- Information on publications, research data and funding decisions as well as the user's first and last name, ORCID iD and organisation mentioned therein.
- The researcher's personal details well as their other research activities and merits.
- Information in the user's ORCID registry, such as their name, contact details, affiliation, and other information in the person's ORCID profile as well as the metadata of research outputs stored in the ORCID registry.
- IT management details, such as equipment information related to services provided, including technical identifiers, usernames, location, contact details, communication details and metadata, and technical events related to services provided, including system and application log data.
Sources of personal data when not obtained from the individual
The sources of personal data in the Researcher's Profile Tool are the data contained in the Suomi.fi identification service, the user's home organisation, the ORCID registry maintained by ORCID and the Research Information Hub (research.fi).
Processors and recipients of personal data
Personal data processors include CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd and its subcontractors, who implement the development, maintenance and storage of the service on the basis of an agreement concluded with the Ministry of Education and Culture.
Personal data will not be disclosed by the parties involved in the provision of the service to third parties without the user's separate consent in the Researcher’s Profile Tool.
Transfer of personal data to third countries or international organisations
In accordance with the consent given in the profile service, information may be disclosed to international organisations or actors in the field, both within and outside the EU/EEA.
Personal data retention periods
Personal data collected for the use of the Researcher’s Profile Tool is stored in the database for an indefinite period of time or until the user deletes their profile.
Rights of the data subject
Right of inspection
The data subject has the right to inspect the personal data concerning them that is found in the service. In addition to the privacy request, the data can be inspected in the service: https://research.fi/en/mydata
Right to rectification
The data subject has the right to request rectification of incorrect or inaccurate personal data stored in the service.
Right to lodge a complaint
The data subject has the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Ombudsman if the data subject considers the processing of their personal data to be unlawful. You can contact the Data Protection Ombudsman here: https://tietosuoja.fi/en/contact-information.
The following data subject rights under the GDPR are conditional and require compliance with certain conditions:
Restricting the processing of data
In certain situations, the data subject has the right to demand that the processing of their personal data be restricted in the service.
Objecting to the processing of data
The data subject has the right to object to the processing of their personal data to the extent that the data belongs to the personal data provided on a consent basis.
Right to transfer data from one system to another
The data subject has the right to receive the information in the Researcher’s Profile concerning them in a machine-readable format.
Erasure of personal data
The data subject has the right to withdraw their consent at any time to maintain their profile in the Researcher's Profile Tool, in which case all personal data collected for its use will be removed from the service. The categories of data to be deleted are:
- The researcher’s personal information and the linking profile
- The researcher’s activity and merit data.
Automatic decision-making and profiling
Personal data shall not be used for automated decision-making or profiling that would affect the rights or freedoms of data subjects.
Protection of the processing of personal data
The Ministry of Education and Culture, as the technical administrator of the Research Information Hub and the Researcher Profile, has implemented the necessary technical and organizational measures and also requires this from processors of personal data.